Selecting a wedding venue can be a daunting task. If you don’t ask all of the necessary questions, it can be an even more challenging task. You will find yourself calling back over and over to ask more questions — next thing you know, the venue is no longer available on your preferred date.
Consider creating a venue tracker in Excel or a similar program that allows you to create a side-by-side comparison of your preferred wedding venues.
Here are seven items that you should track on your wedding venue checklist. These seven items will help you to ensure that you have the basics covered.
- Venue Name and Contact Information. This may seem very basic, but it is definitely necessary to manage your venue option tracker.
- Sales Contact Name – When you call the venue to check its availability, make sure that you speak with the staff member responsible for the venue sales. Save this person’s name and contact information because this is the person that you will be working with until you book your venue.
- Availability for your First Option – Is the venue available on your preferred wedding date AND time? Especially if you contact a venue that holds afternoon and evening weddings. Your wedding day could be available, but your preferred wedding time may not be available.
- Availability for your Second Option – Do you have an alternative wedding date? Check the venue’s availability for your second option too.
- Capacity – Having enough space to accommodate your wedding reception is not only important, it’s key. If you are unsure of the amount of ballroom space you need, check out my ballroom space calculator post.
- Distance – Jot down the mileage and driving distance from the church. If you decide to hold the ceremony and reception in the same venue, jot down the distance from your home and possibly the distance from a major airport or train station. Also, pay attention to the traffic pattern during your preferred wedding time. Nothing is a bigger downer for wedding guests (outside of waiting forever for food) is being stuck in traffic.
- Rental Fees – What are the venue’s rental fees? If you are planning to hold your ceremony and reception at the venue, ask if the venue charges a ceremony fee in addition to the rental fee.
Check back later for checklist items that affect your overall wedding day feel.
Love & Soul Always, Kay