Without a doubt, the holidays are one of the most romantic times of the year! It’s a time for gift giving, sweet memories, and snuggling.
For all of you Washington, DC area couples, I have listed below 10 fun activities that you can do together for the remaining three weeks of the year — Hey, they may even bring you a little ring bling!
1. Take a romantic stroll through DC and stop by the White House to see the National Christmas Tree. The National Christmas Tree will be lit every day from approximately 4:30 p.m. to midnight as part of the America Celebrates display at President’s Park (White House). This display is free to visit and will be open to the public until January 1.
2. Get transported back in time with the Washington Ballet at the historic Warner Theatre in downtown Washington DC. Set to Tchaikovsky’s magical score, this production of the Nutcracker is set in a historic Georgetown mansion where party guests include Frederick Douglass, John Paul Jones, Harriet Tubman, Ben Franklin and Thomas Jefferson.
3. Volunteer at the Bread for the City. Volunteers serve in every Bread for the City department (food, clothing, medical, legal, social services, and advocacy), so they can definitely use some extra hands during the holiday season.
5. Cut down a Christmas Tree together. Located in Mt. Airy, Maryland, the Gaver Tree Farm allows you the opportunity to cut down your own tree, enjoy a hot beverage, and even steal a kiss amongst the trees.
6. Head to the National Museum of American History and watch a showing of “Love Actually.” Centered around the Christmas holiday, this movie is funny, romantic, and a little bit naughty — A perfect movie with your sweetie. It airs on December 21st in the museum’s Warner Brothers theater.
7. Get a little exercise on the Ice Rink at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. Flanked by Smithsonian museums, this intimate outdoor ice rink provides you with a classic Washington DC winter experience. It’s open from November to March.
8. Tour the historical Mount Vernon by Candlelight. Tour George Washington’s estate at night with costumed interpreters and characters. Enjoy a little caroling together around a warm fire and enjoy an opportunity to visit with Aladdin the Christmas camel.
9. Bake some Holiday cookies together. Here’s an easy-peasy rolled sugar cookie recipe.
10. Ring in a Jazzy 2019 at the Kennedy Center with Patti Austin’s Bebop Hip Hop Ella featuring Trevor Lawrence Jr. This year show stars legendary jazz and pop singer Patti Austin and acclaimed Hip Hop drummer Trevor Lawrence Jr., along with a festive dance to great bands, a countdown to midnight, a big balloon drop, and a kiss at midnight.
And, most of all, enjoy each other! Click on the graphic below if you prefer to print out this blog post and take it with you.
Love & Soul Always, Kawania