I love anything Lemon!
Now that we are in the throes of the dog days of summer, I have an excuse to prepare anything lemon for the guys in my house.
This lemon poppy seed pound cake would be a favorite in my house if my guys could get past the poppy seeds. Ha! So I save this recipe for my girlfriends when I have my twice yearly Girlfriends’ brunch.
- One (1) cup of butter, softened
- Two and three-fourth cups of sugar
- Six (6) eggs, separated
- One-fourth (¼) teaspoon baking soda
- One-half (½) teaspoon salt
- Three (3) cups of sifted flour
- One (1) cup of sour cream
- Two (2) tablespoons of poppy seeds**
- Two (2) teaspoons of lemon extract
- Confectioners’ (powdered) sugar (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350° F.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time.
- Combine soda and salt with flour and sift twice more.
- Add flour mixture and sour cream alternately to butter and sugar mixture.
- Beat egg whites until they are stiff. Fold them into the batter with the poppy seeds
- and the lemon extract.
- Bake in a greased flour tube or Bundt pan for 1 ¼ to 1 ½ hours – make sure that the tester comes out clean.
- Serve warm or, when cool, sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
**According to the Snopes web site, the myth about Poppy Seeds and drug tests is true. If your school or job requires you to participate in regular drug testings, you might want to check this out before you try the cake.
Love & Soul Always, Kay