Molasses Tea Cakes
Now that the evenings are getting just a little bit cooler, try out the recipe for this sweet treat. I can assure you that once you try this cookie, you will never be able to enjoy anyone else’s tea cake!
- 2¼ Cups of All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ Cup of Sugar
- ¼ Cup of Light Brown Sugar
- ¼ Teaspoon of Ground Cinnamon
- ⅛ Teaspoon of Kosher Salt
- ½ Cup of Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ Teaspoon of Baking Soda
- ⅓ Cup of Whole Milk
- 3 Tablespoons of Molasses
- Powdered Sugar for Dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large mixer bowl.
- Add butter, then beat at a low speed until the mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Set aside ⅓ cup of the crumb mixture for topping
- Add the baking powder and the baking soda to the initial crumb mixture. Beat at low speed until well mixed.
- Add the milk and the molasses. Continue to beat until the mixture is moistened (30 to 60 seconds). Do not over mix.
- Divide the dough into 16 pieces. Shape into ¾” thick circles, and place the circles 2” apart onto ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture.
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Do not over bake.
- Sprinkle the cookies with powdered sugar.
Once they are ready, I recommend enjoying them with a cup of hot tea. It’s the perfect treat for a cool autumn evening.
Love & Soul Always, Kay