By Kawania H. Wooten CMP
Right now, my business life is in a flux because of a combination of crazy circumstances beyond my control. I’m not sure when these challenges are going to end, so my mood is a little tense and even a little emotional right now, but I’m on a mission to inject some joy back in my business life. I know I am not the only business owner experiencing feeling this right now, so I have noted below six (6) straightforward ways to inject some joy into your business day —
- Lead By Example. Your positive outlook and your positive responses to challenging situations will set the tone for your team’s actions and behaviors.
- Ease the Need for Perfection. Nothing derails joy like the quest for perfection. Focus on your best practices, your customer care, and your end game. And, remember, not everything is within your control. Therefore, everything won’t be perfect.
- Laugh Out Loud. Recently, I rode in a Desert Safari Ride that made me feel like I was in one of those “Fast and the Furious” movies. It was a combination of excitement, fun and “Oh God! I think I am going to die!” The entire experience made me laugh out loud and screamed and laugh some more. When we were finished, I felt like a good portion of my stress had washed away. Now, I am not saying that you have to do what I did, but I encourage you to do something that makes you laugh so hard that you want to cry or your stomach hurts. It really does make a difference in your demeanor and your outlook for the rest of the day.
- Learn a New Skill. If you are starting to feel like your work is becoming a little “too routine,” shake things up a little. Step outside of your comfort zone and expand your knowledge. Attend an industry workshop, take a class on-line, or watch a few youtube video tutorials.
- Practice Gratitude. When you wake up, perform this simple little task — Before your feet hit the floor, name one thing (out loud) that you are grateful for. Then, take a deep breadth and say thank you. Try it again in the shower and while you are brushing your teeth. Before you know it, your focus will be on your blessings. And, acknowledged blessings spark joy.
- Help Someone Out. When you share your knowledge, your opportunities and your kindness with others, you should be prepared to see that kindness snowball — Not only will the kindness come back to you, you will also get to see the recipients of your kindness treat others with that same kindness.
Photography: Banga Studios
Kawania Wooten is the principal consultant at Howerton+Wooten Events, LLC. Known to her friends and family as Kay, she uses artistic skills, her keen attention to the smallest details and her strong commitment to customer service as the hallmark of her business. As the founder of the company, Kawania strives for professionalism, creativity and impeccable organization within every function planned by Howerton+Wooten Events.