Knowing where to stand for a wedding processional/recessional can be a little confusing and intimidating, so I’ve broken down the processional and recessional for a traditional Christian wedding in four easy steps.
I hope this is clear for everyone. (Hopefully not clear as mud!)
- The Groom, Best Man and the Groomsmen will enter from the right of the ceremony location. Standing from the left is the groom, then the best man and then the remaining groomsmen. (Some grooms prefer to walk down the aisle too, so this step could be the groom, best man and officiant walking down the aisle with the groomsmen escorting the bridesmaids)
- The Bridesmaids walk down the aisle one behind the other. You start with the bridesmaid who will stand the farthest from the bride and groom — And the maid (or matron) of honor will walk down the aisle last.
- The Flower Girl(s) and the Ring Bearer can walk down the aisle together — OR — the flower girl(s) can walk in after the ring bearer walks down the aisle.
- The Bride will walk down the aisle with her Father. Her father will be on her right. If her mother walks in with her, she should stand to her left.
- The Bride and Groom will exit first. The groom will be on the bride’s left.
- The flower girl(s) and the ring bearer will exit next. Again, the ring bearer will be on the flower girl(s) left. If there is more than one flower girl, the ring bearer can exit before them.
- The Maid (or Matron) of Honor will exit with the Best Man on her left. Then the Bridesmaids will follow the Maid (or Matron) of Honor. The bridesmaids will be escorted by the groomsmen (the groomsmen will be standing to the bridesmaids left).
- The Bride’s Parents will exit next. The Groom’s Parents will exit last. If you want to include the grandparents, you can add them too. However, I find that grandparents prefer to take it slow and wait until everyone exits before they depart.
Please know that this is just a guideline for a traditional Christian ceremony. Your wedding should be as unique as you are, so make your wedding ceremony (including your processional) your own.
. . . Since my little guy and I are in the throes of enjoying Baltimore Orioles games right now, I couldn’t resist the blog title. I also couldn’t resist the video below. It is crazy hilarious to me!
Love & Soul Always, Kay